Sunday, June 2, 2013

Terrible Twos

Almost three months past his 2nd birthday it's clear that Mr. C has entered the terrible twos. He's defiant, screaming if he doesn't get to bring the toy he wants (sorry, dump truck is too big for the car) or go where he wants (it's usually to the sandbox out back, especially when I'm trying to keep him clean). If he was talking he would be saying "NO." He shakes his head and pouts, that is when not yelling or whining.

I've been thinking lately about how C's hyperinsulinism affects my parenting. A couple of times C has gotten himself so worked up that he vomited. We were lucky that when that happened his sugar didn't drop too much and we were able to bolus him soon after without further emesis. We try to keep him from vomiting at all costs. This means me being a huge pushover instead of the rule enforcer I was born to be. C gets to eat whatever he wants. Anything to keep the sugar up. Jelly beans for dinner? Why not. I've become experienced with the art of distraction. "Look, Calvin a SCHOOL BUS!" If not for hyperinsulinism I would let my child eat what I made for meals and healthy/occasional semi-healthy snacks. He could cry and scream all he wanted, but that wouldn't get the ipad in bed with him. I give in to most of his demands. I worry about how this will affect him.

Speaking of ipad...C has lots of fun toddler apps, but he's also figured out netflix. I'll put on Dinosaur Train or Bob the Builder, themes which C loves in other situations, but he frequently changes it to Barney. Dawn and I are both distressed by this. As much as I can't stand Barney (well actually, I have to admit to the tiniest of soft spots due to a Barney stripper at Beth Phillip's bachelorette party in 1997) he is still preferable to a room full of vomit and a midnight trip to the ER.

1 comment:

  1. Why does Barney distress you? Are there underlying themes that you don't want Calvin exposed to?

    ReplyDelete